Saturday, March 14, 2009

Waitlist #2

My prayers to the gods of Acceptance and Rejection Letters last night must've been heard, because I received some nice news today in the mail. A waitlist letter from the University of Notre Dame. Very exciting.

Realistically speaking, I am about 95% sure I won't be able to go to Notre Dame, even if an offer opens up. Based on what I know about Notre Dame, they offer full tuition waivers for all their students (which is extremely nice), but only two funded TA positions. Chances are, any slot that becomes available will be one that provides no extra funding assistance (it stands to reason that the individuals who receive the TA positions are the ones least likely to turn down their offer), which makes Notre Dame a difficult call in comparison to my other offers. And it's definitely a shame, since Notre Dame is such a highly regarded program, with a wicked faculty. But my decision, once I make it, will open up the waitlist line a little bit for others, so keep hope alive!

2 comments:

Sequoia N said...

I was also waitlisted and am worried about the funding situation. I was under the impression that at least half or more were given assitantships of some kind . . . could be wrong but that's the wording in Kealy and P and W. Do you know how much admin or teaching assts get paid? South Bend is pretty cheap but still . . .

Eric said...

Hi Dipita, thanks for the comment. Regarding Notre Dame's funding situation, I'm taking it from sources off P&E's Speakeasy forum, too, strangely enough. Here's the direct link:

http://www.pw.org/speakeasy/gforum.cgi?post=263904;search_string=notre%20dame%20funding;#263904

The posts are from 2008, a year ago, so it's not too dated. If I'm incorrect, please let me know -- I certainly do NOT want to be spreading around misinformation about any program. Hope this helps, and good luck!