Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Update

A small bit of news. A generous poster on the Speakeasy Forums notified that he/she had been accepted into Notre Dame's MFA program for fiction by phone call yesterday afternoon. No word on whether all acceptances will be contacted by phone call or not; however, this person did say that the official acceptances will be arriving by mail next week. Since Notre Dame's program is small (5 fiction, 5 poetry), I'd expect them to be able to call all their prospects in the next few days, though this is just speculation on my part.

Like most people at this point, I have but a handful of actual rejections, and probably a half dozen or so implied rejections running around on my list. What to do? I'd prefer to give the University of Illinois an answer on their generous offer sooner rather than later, which is predicated on a handful of schools that I'd seriously consider offers from (in comparison to U of I's program, location, and outstanding funding) -- schools such as Purdue, Notre Dame, and Indiana University. The lack of a rejection letter keeps me in a sort of decision limbo. So as much as I hate it, I have resolved to contact the schools that I at least know have sent out acceptance and rejection letters to some of their students already (Purdue) by the end of the week. While I'd rather not bother anyone and remain comfortably anonymous through the whole process, the allure of knowing rather than just fantasizing about being on some phantom waitlist -- or worse, accepted, I just don't know yet, which is another level of delusion -- is too powerful. I need the rejection in hard writing. End of story. Move on to school number two.

I know there are many others out there who are in the same situation of "limbo rejection." How are you dealing with it? Any plans on contacting schools, coping with it?

2 comments:

yurchie said...

Hey Eric, I found you through the MFA Blog.

I just wanted to say that I have called several schools to find out my status, but only because I got accepted to Hollins, and they want a response in two weeks, which is no time at all.

I was really afraid of calling them, but in general, they are really nice and accommodating, so I don't think you should worry about inconveniencing them.

Also, "inconveniencing" is hard to spell.

Eric said...

Thanks Denis, I really appreciate the advice, it takes a lot off my mind, believe me. Looks like I'll be calling a few programs in the next day or so...