Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reading for Fun and Profit

I've ploughed through two books of my reading list for my craft class in the fall so far: Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris, and Shining at the Bottom of the Sea by Stephen Marche. With this, I'd like to unveil a fancy right-hand sidebar addition to the blog, the "What I'm Reading" list. Yes, it's a very creative title. But for those of you who are interested, it's a simple listing of what I'm currently reading. Right now, it's Alone With All That Could Happen: Rethinking Conventional Wisdom About the Craft of Fiction by David Jauss, a craft book on fiction.

As for the other two books I've finished, "Then We Came to the End" and "Shining at the Bottom of the Sea," I'm glad to say they were both great reads. The Stephen Marche book is less my kind of reading material, as I quickly came to realize it was more metafiction than anything else. "Shining at the Bottom of the Sea" is an anthology of works derived from a made up country (Sanjania) and its culture. Craft-wise, it's a pretty brilliant book. Marche creates a whole population with its own customs, practices, value systems, dialects, and histories from the bottom up. Reading through the anthology of short stories, I really came to appreciate the breadth of Marche's writing prowess; he manages to write over a dozen stories, "authored" by over a dozen different writers, all of which have their own unique voices and stylistic tics. It's both amazing and intimidating.

However, for all of Marche's technical virtuosity, I found myself fundamentally enjoying Ferris' "Then We Came to the End" on a much more viseral level. Everyone reads for different purposes. Myself, I read to be moved, to laugh, to cry. Metafiction, unfortunately, does not do this for me. Joshua Ferris' book does. Written entirely in first person plural, "Then We Came to the End" follows an advertising agency office struggling to stay afloat during a time of layoffs and economic troubles. At first, I was dubious about the subject matter of the book; I didn't think I would care very much about the travails of a group of affluent upper-middle class people, but I was pleasantly surprised that the book became much more than that. Suffice to say, it manages to be a very emotionally satisfying read. Also, what's extraordinary about Ferris' book is that it, too, is technically remarkable -- writing a story that is almost entirely in first person plural ("we" and "our") is amazing. The fact is, a story such as this could have never been written without the first person plural point of view. The narrator, the "we" and "our," is an additional character, representing the crowd, with the kind of group think that occurs in an office of people whose backgrounds are all socioeconomically and culturally very similar. This group think is an important character, as they act and think as one, often with the maturity level of children, which leads to some very ridiculous decisions and situations, some of them more serious than others.

I can't even begin to imagine how Ferris managed to develop this voice, though I suspect it came from years and years of writing and rewriting. But that's an obvious answer, right? At any rate, I'm very glad to have finished two books on my list already. I'll be sure to share the remaining book titles as I tackle them in the weeks ahead.

3 comments:

JayTee said...

Sounds interesting! I'm doing the MFA in poetry in the fall but I've been writing a lot of fiction lately, just because it feels like there's no pressure there, I guess. I've been reading John Dufresne's The Lie That Tells the Truth and doing the exercises. It's a good time. I may check some of the books you mentioned out next.

Eric said...

I LOVE craft books and craft exercise books, unsaid. I'll have to check out John Dufresne's book, thanks for the tip. I'm currently powering my way through Garnder's "Art of Fiction" -- he has a listing of twenty or so exercises at the end of the book that I've found really invaluable. You should check that out as well, if only for the exercises.

I know quite a few writers who abhor the use of exercises in their writing, but I've (recently) come around to the idea. Like any other skill or craft, it's something that will only improve with dedicated practice, right? It's all practice, practice, practice. Hmmm, I may have to write a post one day on this very subject.

CashewElliott/John said...

Those books sound interesting. For some reason I have a hard time diving into fiction. Perhaps that is why I mostly write nonfiction. I find it easier to open up and read a book about tax policy or health care policy than a novel with a random name.

But I'm trying to read a lot more fiction this summer. My summer reading is literary journals, cover to cover. I'm gobbling them up. Quarterly West was good. Just got my Southern Review today. Very exiting.